Crafty Ribbons blog is now on blogger! Read our past posts here or visit our ribbon website here

Friday 7 June 2013

Nautical week - sailing away

Morning everyone.
How could we have nautical week without a boat!
How could we have a themed ribbon week without a cake!
What do you think?
I probably shouldn't say this - but I am sooooo pleased with my cake.
I have never fondant iced a cake before, never made a paper boat and never made ribbon sails!
If I can do it, so can you.
The cake is a Victoria sponge filled with strawberry jam (Tony's favourite).
I covered the outside of the cake also with the jam, (Tony is not keen on butter icing).
I gather the jam helps the fondant icing to stick to the cake.
I rolled out the fondant icing, laid it on top of the cake and smoothed it down with my hands.
 
The paper boat is a A4 piece of paper, same colour both sides.
I followed the instructions on WikiHow here
My first boat was rubbish!!
But I soon got the hang of it, and even Syd and Sam were able to make them.
We have so many paper boats now in the warehouse!!!
 
I used a hole punch to make the hole to insert the mast,
which is a long paper stick (left over from my ribbon tulips here)
 
Now the ribbon bit.............SAILS
 
  • 4 x 28cm lengths of 25mm blue stripe ribbon here
  • 1 x 14cm of Nautical ribbon here
  • long paper stick
  • white machine thread
 
1. Sew the nautical ribbon to one of the pieces of the navy stripe sail ribbon in the centre.
 
2. Lay the ribbons on the work surface so you know how to sew the sail together.
 
3. Sew the edges of the flag.
 
4. Open the ribbons out and flatten with your fingers to create the flag.
 
5. Change your machine foot to the zipper foot. Insert the mast between the navy stripe ribbon layers

Machine the ribbon as close to the mast as you can.
 
6. Insert the next sail ribbon and continue machining.
 
7. Repeat until all 4 pieces of ribbons are sewn to the mast.
 
8. Remove the paper mast stick and zig zag the lengths of ribbon together.
Make sure you do not machine in the mast channel.
 
9. Sewn sail. I did not not iron mine as I wanted a wind swept look!
 
10. Cut away the excess ribbon, do not worry if the ends fray - all part of the look.
 
11. Insert the paper mast stick.
 
Now all you have to do is add the mast to the boat.
 
 
The kiddies all wanted the boat and Uncle T wanted the cake!!!!
 
 
Over the past week you have seen my ideas and those of our Design Team, BUT.....
.....what would you make if you had some of this nautical ribbon collection?
Do tell us in a comment and we will pick a winner on Tuesday
 
 
That's it, no more nautical ideas this week, shame I did enjoy going to the beach -
for research I promise!
I must of had ribbons on the brain, Condor came out of Poole harbour, I turned to Tony and said
"Look Craftyribbons ferry has ribbons on it"

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment, we love comments.
Crafty Ribbons